A European project of the Cross-border Cooperation Programme Interreg V-A Italia-Slovenia 2014-2020
Project promoter (VP): Slori-Slovenski raziskovalni inštitutPartners (PP): INV Inštitut za narodnostna vprašanja (Istituto per lo Studio delle Questioni Etniche), Societât Filologjiche Furlane - Società filologica Friulana "Graziadio Isaia Ascoli", Università di Nova Gorica, Università Ca’ Foscari di Venezia e Università del Litorale - Facoltà di Studi EducativiProject leader: Dr Zaira VidauCoordinators: Norina Bogatec, Dr Matejka Grgič Collaborators: Dr Maja Mezgec, Nevenka Pernarčič, Martina Pettirosso Project implementation period: 2017-2019
The project EDUKA2 ― A cross-border governance of education is co-financed by funds made available in a call for proposals for standard projects that are part of the Interreg Cooperation programme V-A Italia–Slovenia 2014–2020 and funds from the European Regional Development Fund.
The project's lead partner is SLORI.
Other project partners include:
- the Institute for Ethnic Studies (Ljubljana, Slovenia)
- Societât Filologjiche Furlane – the Friulian Philological Society Graziadio Isaia Ascoli (Udine, Italy)
- the University of Nova Gorica (Nova Gorica, Slovenia) – Research Centre for Humanities, School of Humanities
- Ca’ Foscari University (Venice, Italy)
- the University of Primorska (Koper, Slovenia) – Faculty of Education
The project's associated partners are:
- the Friuli Venezia Giulia Regional Education Office – the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research
- the Ministry of Education, Science and Sport of the Republic of Slovenia
- the Department for Education and Science of the Friuli Venezia Giulia Region
The EDUKA2 project focuses on a common challenge identified in the programme area in question, namely the issue of cross-border cooperation in the field of education. By and large the project aims to strengthen such capacity for cooperation and thus change the status quo. This will be achieved by developing tools for concerted governance and creating unified teaching and educational models. The activities envisioned will be especially useful to schools and universities in this programme area and will have three direct effects. Firstly, they will lead to the creation of a common strategic document on joint teaching models, including guidelines, unified teaching methods and common contents on topics such as the preservation of cultural, linguistic, environmental and natural resources. This strategic document will be drafted by a network for cross-border cooperation comprised of schools, universities, research centres and ethnic or linguistic minority institutions. Secondly, project activities include joint teacher training, which will enable the implementation of joint teaching models in schools and universities. Thirdly, these activities will result in the creation of a unified strategic document for universities and other shareholders. This strategic document aims to facilitate the recognition of academic titles and qualifications of students and graduates that are pursuing their studies in the field of education in the neighbouring country. To this aim, support material and services will be designed and training provided for staff working at various universities. Establishing a network for cooperation among teachers from various schools and universities on the one hand and researchers on the other is key for improving cross-border cooperation, since it allows them to combine the latest theoretical knowledge with direct practical experience available in both countries. This project offers a new and original solution, i.e. that of promoting the use of technology in education by means of online teaching resources and e-learning programmes.
The project's key target groups are:
- kindergartens, primary schools, middle schools and high schools in Italy and in Slovenia
- headmasters, educators, teachers, pupils and students
- universities (including the administration, the enrollment office and student advisory services)
- university students and students studying in the neighbouring country (Italy / Slovenia), who are enrolled in study programmes in the field of education
- research institutes
- researchers working at universities and research institutes, high school teachers and experts in the field of education and teaching
- ethnic or language minority organisations
- educational institutions and associations, lecturers and educators
- families with children in the educational system
- institutional and political representatives, public and private institutions in the field of education
- local and national media
- journals in the field of education, teaching, languages, cultural and linguistic variety
The total project budget for which co-funding was granted amounts to 775,500.00 EUR. The project started on 1 September 2017 and is expected to finish on 28 February 2019. Planned project activities will take place in the provinces of Trieste, Gorizia, Udine and Venice, as well as in the Littoral-Karstic, Central Slovene and Gorizia statistical regions.
Zaira Vidau, project manager