Where we are
Partecipation at conferences
Activities and services
Tenders and competitions
Bank of knowledge
Educational and promotional activities
Events and news
SLORI is a Slovenian organisation in Italy that professionally deals with research since 1974. The institute was founded and developed as an important centre of scientific and intellectual discussion, whilst its programmatic orientation is based on promoting research activities focused on questions related to the cultural, social and spatial development of the Slovenian community in Italy, as well as on its connection with the Italian majority environment, with that of the homeland Slovenia and with the wider international context.
The research activities of Slori range from pure to applied research in the fields of ethnic studies, minority questions and development processes of cross-border areas. The researchers are experts in the following fields: sociology, linguistics, psychology, pedagogy, geography, political studies and economics. The research projects are based on the study of theoretical and empirical findings connected to the Slovenian national question and to the coexistence in multiethnic and multilingual societies. Particular attention is dedicated to the monitoring and comprehension of the social and cultural environment in which the Slovenian national community in Italy lives.
Along with the development of the European integration processes, in particular after the entrance of Slovenia into the EU, Slori strengthened its traditional mediation role between the Slovenian and Italian reality. By promoting several cross-border projects, it established a tight network of collaborations with both the Slovenian and Italian research environment, as well as with organisations of other minority communities on both sides of the border. Slori promotes a similar approach also on the local level, where it stimulates dialogue and collaboration with public administrations, universities and other institutions as to put into practice the principle of positive integration with the majority environment, which is based on mutual communication, on discovering each other and on collaboration.
Along with the research activity, the Institute develops a number of other activities, of which we’d like to highlight the following:
- dissemination of research findings (public results presentations; participation of researchers in conferences; publications; organisation of scientific meetings and round tables etc.)
- promotion of the Slovenian national community and the Slovenian language in the majority environment;
- educational activities and promotion of research (research laboratories for pupils and students; promotional events during the Researchers’ Night etc.);
- expert help and tutoring for students in writing their graduation and postgraduate thesis;
- support to young and prospective future researchers by announcing competitions for research works and for co-financing postgraduate studies;
- promotion of work and study experiences at the Institute;
- unification and orientation of the intellectual potential of the Slovenian national community in Italy.
Partecipation at conferences